Found this coffee at our local co-op and I love it! It’s a blend of light and dark roasted fair trade, organic, shade grown coffee from Bolivia & Mexico, and, like the label says, it’s rich, smooth and chocolatey. The artwork on the bag cracks me up. If you can’t see it, there’s a quote from Mark Twain that says:
Get a bicycle; You will not regret it if you live.
Ha! The coffee is perfect in my french press (coarse ground) and tastes absolutely heavenly. If this roast doesn’t sound like your style, you can find many different blends and roasts at the company’s website.
One of the things I love most is the fact that their coffees are not only organic, but also fair trade and shade grown. That combination isn’t easy to find. I love the transparency the company offers to see their contracts with the growers, how they work, and where every cent of the dollars you spend actually goes (this part is printed on the bag!).
What fair trade coffee means:
- It comes from democratically controlled grower cooperatives, not single owner estates
- Contract information, including price paid to growers, is made available to anyone
- Growers commit to sustainable agricultural practices and roasters commit to minimizing their impact on the world
- Growers and roasters commit to long term relationships
- Growers have a voice in determining the price per pound and this price never drops below a certain level
If you’re not buying this coffee, I encourage you to consider looking for other fair trade, organic coffees. Just this one choice can make a difference in the world.
Just Coffee is located in Madison, WI. If you live there, the bag says it’s “bike delivered in Madison.” I’m not sure if that’s to all local buyers or just stores and cafes, but it’s pretty cool, no matter what.
*Disclaimer: Again, no reimbursement of any kind for this review (although I’m willing to work something out if Just Coffee’s reading…). Just another one of my favorite things that I wanted to share with you.