I have an internal (head-space) debate going on that I’m hoping you can help me with. With the upcoming election, I’m debating about whether or not to post a button for the candidate I’m supporting. Most of the time, I lean toward NOT posting it (which is why there’s not one there). The argument in my brain for this position goes something like this:
- I don’t want to lose any readers who might not agree with my viewpoint
- I’m not sure I want to open the door for political discussions at my site
- Maybe it’s better to remain neutral (like Switzerland) on such a potentially polarizing issue
The other side of my brain argues:
- Mature readers should be able to handle/respect an opinion that differs from their own
- Maybe I’m “copping out” of the political discussion because it’s easier to avoid conflict than to take a stand
- Posting a button can give readers an easy link to learn more and get questions answered without necessitating any sort of political discussions in post topics
- I’m NOT politically neutral, so why would I NOT show support for my candidate of choice?
For the first few elections I was able to vote in, I declined the privilege. At the time, I felt like I was making a stand of sorts. I was so disgusted with politics in general that I felt like no options were good and that I would only be perpetuating a problem by voting for anyone, regardless of party affiliation. When the subject of politics came up in conversation, I either zoned out, shrugged apathetically, or stuck my fingers in my ears and said, “La, la, la, la, LA!” Maybe I matured or something, but my thinking has turned around, and I voted in the last two elections. I’m not very good at eloquently describing my thought processes and reasoning, but, basically I now feel like non-action accomplishes nothing. If I want to see change in the world, I need to act to make it happen. Voting is one of those actions. I’m not signed up with any one party. Instead, I feel strongly about learning as much as I can about the candidates and making a choice based on policies and values that I support and would like to see more of. My largest complaint (and I’m sure many of you feel my pain) is with the media coverage of candidates and how extremely difficult is to sift any substantive information out of all the rubbish and to determine what is truth. Sigh. My conclusion so far has been that we just have to do the best we can do and make intelligent choices from there.
I’ve noticed many other Mommy Blogs out there with campaign buttons posted on their sites. It doesn’t bother me, but every time I see one, I wonder what the rest of you are thinking. So…whaddaya think? I’m voting this year, and I know who I’m supporting (at this point). Would you like to know, or do you think that’s something that should stay out of the blogosphere?? Not saying I’ll do what you say, but I’m listening. Let me know in the comments.